What is an RSG/RCG certificate?

The RSG/RCG is the Responsible Service/Conduct of Gambling/Gaming certificate. Having your RSG/RCG certificate is mandatory and permits you to work anywhere gambling services are provided.

This includes:

  • Poker machines in pubs clubs and hotels
  • All gaming in casinos.
  • Sports gambling such as horseracing, greyhound racing and football

Which RSG/RCG is valid in each state of Australia?

RCG from NSW is also accepted in

  • Western Australia
  • Queensland
  • Victoria
  • Northern Territory

RSG from Victoria is also accepted in:

  • Victoria
  • Western Australia
  • Queensland
  • Northern Territory

RSG from QLD is also accepted in:

  • Western Australia
  • Northern Territory
  • Victoria

What will I learn in the RSG/RCG course?

You will learn the legal requirements for responsible conduct of gaming for the state in which you are attending the course. As well as the impact of problem gambling in society, self exclusion from gaming venues and much more.

Why does each state of Australia have a different RSG/RCG?

The Gaming Industry is authorised by the state governments of each state in Australia. Each state in Australia has its own legislation for gaming. Some states refer to it as RSG and some as RCG.

Is the RSG/RCG course practical?

No it’s theoretical.

How will I be assessed?

Both written and practical assessment

Where is the RSG/RCG course held?

Sydney CBD (Opposite Central Station)
787 George St Haymarket
(02) 9211 9779

Parramatta RSA (near Westfield)
3/124 Marsden St Parramatta
(02) 9689 3007

Melbourne RSA (near Victoria St Markets)
144 Peel St North Melbourne
(03) 9329 6550

Brisbane RSA (near Fortitude Valley station)
Shop 18/115 Wickham St Fortitude Valley
(07) 3257 2001

Perth RSA
518 Murray St Perth
(08) 9486 4771

How long is the RSG/RCG course?

  • NSW - 6 hours including the assessment
  • VIC - 4 hours including the assessment
  • QLD - 4 hours including the assessment

Is there an RSG/RCG exam?

Yes, the assessment consists of short answer and multiple choice questions.

Why is it better to complete the RSG/RCG Face to Face in a classroom and not online?

  • The course content is better explained by a qualified trainer
  • You will receive your RSG/RCG certificate on the same day therefore you can commence working immediately
  • You can ask questions and receive immediate answers
  • The completion rate is much higher as there is no interruption

What are the problems with doing the RSG/RCG online?

  • Certificates are not delivered immediately after course completion
  • Certificates may be delayed further by assessment marking and postage
  • Technical internet issues can cause delays in course completion
  • Online learning tools can be difficult to navigate and understand
  • You cannot ask questions and have them answered immediately
  • You can be locked out of the online tool if you get questions wrong
  • You may get half way through and just give up after paying

Do I need the RSG/RCG if I have my RSA?

To find a job it helps to have your RCG (Responsible Conduct of Gaming) as well as your RSA. Most pubs, clubs and hotels have poker machines and will require you to have both the RSA & RCG. This adds diversity to your employment potential. Sometimes you will be required to work behind the bar and sometimes you will be required to work in the gaming area where the poker machines are located.

Do I need to do a non-accredited Bar Course if I have my RSG/RCG?

If you seek a job in a club, pub or hotel you will be required to work in the gaming area as well as the bar. If you have NO bar experience or skills, the employer will tell you they require staff who already have bar skills and that they do not have the time to teach you how to make all the drinks and cocktails. It increases your chances of employment if you do the bar course as employers want someone with practical bar skills who can begin working immediately.Our Bar Skills course is non-accredited course and you will only receive a certificate of attendance after course completion.

Do I need to do a coffee Course if I have my RSG/RCG?

By having your Coffee skills as well as your RSG/RCG you will have many more job opportunities. Most pubs, clubs and hotels have espresso machines. They therefore require the bar staff to have the coffee skills also.

It increases your chances of employment if you do the coffee course as employers want someone with practical bar and coffee skills who can begin working immediately

Accredited Barista Course

Master the art of coffee with this hands-on, professional barista course and work in any café in Australia! Find out More


RSA Course Training

Would you like to work in a liquor licensed venue? Complete your RSA certificate and get started right way. Find out More


Bar & Cocktail Skills Course

Enjoy the fun and flexibility of working behind the bar. Learn to mix all the famous cocktails and much more. Find out More