What is an RSA certificate?

The RSA is the Responsible Service of Alcohol certificate. Having your RSA certificate is mandatory and permits you to work anywhere alcohol is served and sold. This includes bars, clubs, restaurants, licensed cafes, events and bottle shops.

Which RSA is valid in each state of Australia?

  Each state in Australia has its own legislation

RSA from NSW is also accepted in 

  • Western Australia
  • Queensland
  • Victoria (after refresher course and only when completed Face to Face in NSW)
  • Northern Territory

RSA from Victoria RSA is also accepted in 

  • Western Australia
  • Queensland
  • Northern Territory

RSA from Queensland is also accepted in:

  • Western Australia
  • Northern Territory
  • Victoria (after refresher course and only when completed Face to Face in Queensland)  

RSA from Western Australia is also accepted in

  • Queensland
  • Northern Territory
  • Victoria (after refresher course and only when completed Face to Face in Western Australia)

How long does my RSA certificate last for?

  • NSW - 5 Years
  • Melbourne - 3 Years
  • Brisbane - No expiry after 1 July 2013
  • Perth - No Expiry

What happens if I need to change the details on my NSW OLGR interim certificate?

If the details on your interim certificate appear incorrectly and you have not yet applied at Australia Post Office for your competency card please click here to complete the Office of Liquor Gaming & Racing (OLGR) interim certificate amendment form.       http://www.olgr.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/photocard/CC0300_Interim_certificate_amendment.pdf

Please do not use this form if you have already applied for your competency card. To change your name on the card please click here to complete the replacement card form.         http://www.olgr.nsw.gov.au/pdfs/photocard/replacement_comp_card.pdf

You can lodge the application form by:

  • Post to Office of Liquor Gambling & Racing GPO Box 7060
  • Deliver to Office of Liquor Gaming & Racing Level 6, 323 Castlereagh St Haymarket NSW 2000
  • Email to competencycard@olgr.nsw.gov.au

What will I learn in the RSA course?

You will learn your responsibilities for the service and sale of alcohol. Including strategies for reducing harm caused by too much alcohol consumption.

Why does each state of Australia have a different RSA?

The sale of alcohol in Australia is authorised by the state governments. Each state has its own legislation for the sale of alcohol.

What is the difference between the RSA course and non-accredited Bar & Cocktail Skills Course?

  • The RSA is a theoretical course held in a classroom where you learn the regulations that apply to the service of alcohol.
  • The non-accredited Bar & Cocktail Skills course is practical course where you learn how to make the different types of drinks and cocktails.

Is the RSA course practical?

No it’s theoretical. You do not learn how to make drinks in the RSA. 

Where is the RSA course held?

Sydney CBD (Opposite Central Station)
787 George St Haymarket
(02) 9211 9779

Parramatta RSA (near Westfield)
3/124 Marsden St Parramatta
(02) 9689 3007

Melbourne RSA (near Victoria St Markets)
144 Peel St North Melbourne
(03) 9329 6550

Brisbane RSA (near Fortitude Valley station)
Shop 18/115 Wickham St Fortitude Valley
(07) 3257 2001

Perth RSA
518  Murray St Perth
(08) 9486 4771

How long is the RSA course?

  • NSW - 6 hours including the assessment
  • VIC - 4 hours including the assessment
  • QLD - 5 hours including the assessment
  • WA - 4 hours including the assessment

Is there an RSA exam?

Yes short answer questions, multiple choice questions and role play.

How will I be assessed?

Both written and practical assessment

Why is it better to complete the RSA Face to Face in a classroom and not online?

  • You will receive your RSA certificate on the same day therefore you can commence working immediately
  • The course content is better explained by a qualified trainer
  • You can ask questions and receive immediate answers
  • The completion rate is much higher as there is no interruption

What are the problems with doing the RSA online?

  • Certificates are not delivered immediately after course completion
  • Certificates may be delayed further by assessment marking and postage
  • Technical internet issues can cause delays in course completion
  • Online learning tools can be difficult to navigate and understand
  • You cannot ask questions and have them answered immediately
  • You can be locked out of the online tool if you get questions wrong
  • You may get half way through and just give up after paying  

Do I need the RCG if I have my RSA?

To find a job it helps to have your RCG (Responsible Conduct of Gaming) as well as your RSA. Most pubs, clubs and hotels have poker machines and will require you to have both the RSA & RCG.

Do I need to do a non-accredited Bar & cocktail course if I have my RSA?

If you apply for a job with only your RSA and no bar experience/skills, the employer will most likely tell you they require staff who already have bar skills and they do not have the time to teach you how to make all the drinks and cocktails. They want someone with practical bar skills who can begin working immediately. Our Bar Skills course is non-accredited course and you will receive a certificate of attendance after course completion.

Do I need to do a coffee Course if I have my RSA?

By having your Coffee skills as well as your RSA you will have many more job opportunities. Most cafes and restaurants are alcohol licensed and therefore require the barista to hold the RSA. Similarly most pubs, clubs, hotels bars, have espresso machines. They therefore require the bar staff to have the coffee skills as well as the RSA.

Accredited Barista Course

Master the art of coffee with this hands-on, professional barista course and work in any café in Australia! Find out More


RSG/RCG Course Training

Would you like to work in a venue that provides gambling services? Complete your RCG Course certificate and get started. Find out More


Bar & Cocktail Skills Course

Enjoy the fun and flexibility of working behind the bar. Learn to mix all the famous cocktails and much more. Find out More